Thursday, June 28, 2012

Guided Reading Copy Solution!

As you know in Guided Reading groups we need a book/booklet per child. Now as a kinda new teacher, I am a little low on copies of leveled readers for my students so I make copies from Reading A-Z and http://www.hubbardscupboard.org. which is fine except my school is having a copy shortage. Now I also like to have the students write on the books. For example counting the words in the sentence, circle the punctuation, or underline a sight word so can you see my predicament? So after a workshop yesterday, my friend/team member/partner in crime/..Oh you get the idea, and I were trying to come up with a solution to this problem without spending our whole salary on coping all these booklets! How can I reuse these booklets and still have the children write on them? And I think I have solved the problem with a teachers best friend...PAGE PROTECTORS TA-DA!!! It is cheap, convenient, easy, and best of all it works!
For books from Reading A-Z single sided books: First slide each page of the booklet into the protector, fold and staple. For Hubbards Cupboard books: slide each [page in and then cut apart booklets before stapling (I tried it the other way and had a slip-sliding, uneven MESS).
Now the students can use a Vis-a-vis to write on each and every page as directed--
and then erased and reused by another group of students!!
So instead of making 20+ copies of each booklet I make 6 and I can use them year after year!! Oh yes I Am doing a happy dance while shaking my own hand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment